Friday, May 29, 2009

Alpha 338, standing by!

For lots of people working in Papua New Guinean villages, two-way radio is still the only way they can communicate with Ukarumpa or the wider world! I love using the radio . . . it makes me feel so official to say, "This is Alpha 338, calling Foxtrot 288! Foxtrot 288, do you read me? Over." Only one person can talk at a time, so you have to hold down a button to talk, and say "over" when you're finished.






Last week, while we were planning our next survey, we wanted to discuss some things with our survey consultant, but he's out in a village right now . . . so we talked to him on the radio. Here's a picture of Sara and Bonnie discussing survey methodology with our consultant.


My friend Liz is out working in a village now, so I get to talk to her on the radio every week to see how she's doing, pass on all the big Ukarumpa news, and give her messages from people at home.

No comments: