Monday, February 9, 2009

Shudders and testosterone

Last night we had an earthquake. Get them pretty frequently here. If I'm standing up I don't feel the smaller ones, but sitting down or lying in bed (like last night) they're pretty noticeable. On Thanksgiving the year before last (I think), I was at someone's house when we had the worst one I've experienced here. Mirrors and pictures started falling off walls and we all grabbed the nearest breakable item that was in danger of falling over. That was pretty dramatic. Normally the situation is more like, "Are you feeling that too? That's an earthquake, right?" Normally they last for a few seconds...maybe 5 or so. Last night I was lying in bed at 1:30am, felt the quake, and thought, "hmmm....I wonder if this will be the one where the walls collapse and I have to dig myself out of the rubble." But no such drama.

It's now 5:40pm, I'm in the office, about to leave for the day. Have just finished typing up data from the survey into Excel. Tomorrow morning I'll start analysing it. Where are the trends? What are they? What do they tell us about Scripture use in Benabena?

I've just read some journalist's thoughts on how the footballer Robbie Keane did at (my club) Liverpool and why he got sold back to Spurs. Interesting. I get an email from the BBC at 6am every morning with the headlines...then I have to click on the link for the full story. Internet is expensive here so I try to click as little as possible.

However, sometimes I do get drawn in. For instance I also just read an article in the Economist on why men with ring fingers significantly longer than their index finger (signifying higher levels of testosterone) are good at competative sports and jobs like high pressured financial trading. In the study done on traders in the City, "those with skewed hands earned more than five times as much as their more even-fingered brethren." I just checked my fingers out...I'm not sure how you define "significantly", but, yep, the ring finger is definitely longer. Hmmmm...a job as a securities trader... (click here to read 'Financial success begins in the womb')

No comments: