Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Oh, how I love the phone!

I think I mentioned that we'll be doing a fair bit of boating on this next survey. Yesterday I called someone in the area to find out a bit more about the boat situation. Since Tok Pisin is my second language, and English is a lot of people's third language, the language barrier always makes phone conversations an interesting challenge. Yesterday's went something like this (I've translated the Tok Pisin bits into English . . . at least, based on what I think was being said):



Me: Yes, hello, I was wondering how much it would cost to take a boat from Gasmata to Apalik?

Boat Guy: Well, it will take 15 gallons of fuel.

Me: OK, but we don't have a boat. We want to hire a boat.

Boat Guy: OK, well it will take 15 gallons of fuel.

Me: OK, but how much will it cost?

Boat Guy: From Gasmata to Apalik? Yeah, that will take 15 gallons of fuel.

Me: But if four people just want to hire a boat, how much will they need to pay to hire the boat?

Boat Guy: Ohhhhh . . . you can't fit in one boat. You will need at least two or three. Probably four. Yes, four boats should be fine.

Me: Oh . . . how many people can fit on one boat?

Boat Guy: About ten people.

Me (wondering where I went wrong): OK . . . well . . . there are only four of us.

Boat Guy: Yes, so you will need four boats.

Me: But we want to go in one boat. There are only four of us.

Boat Guy: Oh! There are four of you! I thought you said there were forty! Oh, yes, you can easily go in one boat.

Me (back at square one): OK, so how much will it cost for four people to go in one boat from Gasmata to Apalik?

1 comment:

Jacob Bullock said...

haha! it's like an abbot and costello routine. Very funny and typical.