Monday, October 19, 2009

On the brink of adventure

It's an odd feeling, sitting on the brink of a survey and wondering what will happen when you plunge into a three-week long hurtle through adventures you currently know nothing about. You see, most of the surveys I've been on have been chock full of unexpected events: trucks sliding off the road, medical evacuations, robberies, con artists, rescuing stranded backpackers, nocturnal hikes and broken airplanes. After every adventure I take a deep breath and think, "Well, that was fun! Now we can get on with things as planned." But just when I'm thinking that nothing crazier than what just happened could possibly happen . . . well, something crazier does happen! I'm finding myself wondering what crazy things will happen this time . . . what new stories will I have on November 10th?

I recently told my friend Lynn that I often feel that survey trips are a bit of a battle, that the enemy doesn't seem to want us to get where we're planning to go. She replied, "Yes . . . you are the Joshuas and Calebs spying out the land he has too long claimed as his."

The cool thing is that our crazy stories of unexpected events always turn into stories of God's provision and protection as well. I don't know what will happen over the next three weeks, but I rest in the fact that I'm a part of Jesus' body, and not even the gates of hell can stand up against that! I also rest in your prayers . . . knowing you are all talking to God about our journey means more than I can say.

Come back in three weeks for the stories!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Juliann,
I'll be praying for you and the rest of the team these next three weeks. Glad Jacob could go along with you ladies! Maybe this time the "unexpected" will be that you will NOT encounter anything TOO unexpected. As a mom, that would be my prayer... but I'll also be praying a hedge of protection around you.
love, Nancy