Thursday, December 10, 2009

How do YOU get to work?

There was a time in my life when I got to work by getting into my car, driving for awhile, and getting out of my car. That era ended the day I became a surveyor. The days of driving myself down the road have been replaced by all kinds of other days.

The days when I leave my house at 6am to drive to the airstrip and get on a 4-seater plane.

The days when I travel down a river full of crocodiles in a motor boat.

The days when I sit in the cab of a dump truck balanced on a narrow board with four other people.

The days when I stand in the back of a dump truck.

The days when I ride in an ambulance (not because I'm sick, just because it happens to be going in the direction I want to go).

The days when I paddle a boat backwards because the motor is broken. (Why backwards? Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that one out too . . . but that's what the boat's owner wanted, so that's what we did.)

The days when I stand in the back of a pick up truck along with seven other people, five backpacks and several large pieces of machinery, and there is no room to sit down.

The days when I hike across slippery logs, occasionally falling into a swamp or pulling off a leech.

And the many, many, many, many, many days (like today) when I simply walk 10 minutes to my office!

1 comment:

Jacob Bullock said...

I prefer to get to work in a very small outrigger paddled by eight year old girls. Or walking along a highlands path made up of limestone slabs covered in red mud!