Friday, February 12, 2010

My soundproof recording studio

On survey, when I'm writing down a list of words in the local language, I nearly always have perfectly ideal conditions. A level table on which to set my recording equipment. A comfortable chair for the person who is telling me the words (and usually one for myself as well). A quiet place, free from distractions or outside noises that might interfere with the recording . . . . You don't believe me, do you? I can tell by your skeptical silence. OK, OK, if you want to know how it really goes, watch the video.

3 comments:

Arukiyomi - the spreadsheet guy said...

good to see some action live from the field... who's the other guy writing stuff with you? And is he your backup or is he writing something else?

Juliann said...

The other guy is Robbie, who has been working in Gulf Province for many years with his wife Debbie. They went with me on the survey and during the word list elicitation Robbie was both my backup transcriber and my mentor, since it was my first time to transcribe a tonal language on the field.

Arukiyomi - the spreadsheet guy said...

oooh tonal... that would set my Tevas tingling... how did you get on?