Friday, March 12, 2010

Auctions

I had an auction at my house last night. I think I've told you a bit about auctions in Ukarumpa . . . before you leave, you invite all of your friends over to your house and "auction" off everything you don't want to take with you. Everything is free, and the first person to say something gets the item being auctioned. You quickly learn not to make fun of things, after having a few ridiculous items thrown at you because you were the first to open your mouth.

And, even if there are things your friends don't want, somebody is sure to want it because nothing is ever wasted in PNG culture, and very few things are ever thrown away. This morning I put all the stuff that was leftover from my auction out by the road in front of my house. Half of it was already gone by the time I left for the office, and I bet you an ice cream cone that the rest will be gone by the end of the day.

Today is my last day in the survey office. I don't think I quite believe that I won't be back here on Monday morning . . .

1 comment:

Jacob Bullock said...

Auctions Rock! I got a Wet suit at Liz and Joyce's. I think it had been traveling around for a while.....