Monday, March 8, 2010

Uninvited ants

"Hey, Juliann," my housemate, Joy, accosted me as I walked through the kitchen, "Could you put that sugar in the plastic container? I saw an ant crawling up it." Since Joy was currently in the process of deboning a whole chicken, something I would never even attempt, I was more than happy to take care of the sugar. But when I picked up the bag I saw, to my horror, that the ant had already invited all of his friends, and they had accepted the invitation and arrived along with all of their friends. It was Saturday, so the store wouldn't be open until Monday, and I was very hesitant to throw away all of the sugar in our house, because you really just never know when you might need to make a chocolate cake. So I picked out a few of the more obvious ants, dumped it in the plastic container, ants and all, chucked the whole thing in the freezer and waited for them to die.

They say you go through four stages of bug acceptance:
#1 You see the bug in your food and therefore don't eat the food.
#2 You see the bug in your food, pick it out, and eat the food anyway.
#3 You see the bug in your food and eat it anyway, bug and all.
#4 You see the bug on the table, pick it up and put it in your food for extra protein.

I suppose I've reached stage #3, but I don't plan on advancing to #4 anytime soon!

No comments: