Saturday, October 4, 2008

On appreciating others

Here I can't choose my friends to the same extent that I have been able to at other times, for example during university. I sometimes find that hard. The number one cause of missionaries leaving the field is because they can't get along with their fellow workers (or so I was told during training time and time again). I was reading CS Lewis' The Four Loves this evening. I found it helpful. In the section on 'Affection' he says:

By having a great many friends I do not prove that I have a wide appreciation of human excellence. You might as well say I prove the width of my literary taste by being able to enjoy all the books in my own study. The answer is the same in both cases - 'You chose those books. You chose those friends. Of course they suit you.' The truly wide taste in reading is that which enables a man to find something for his needs on the sixpenny tray outside any secondhand bookshop. The truly wide taste in humanity will similarly find something to appreciate in the cross-section of humanity whom one has to meet every day. In my experience it is Affection that creates this taste, teaching us first to notice, then to endure, then to smile at, then to enjoy, and finally to appreciate, the people who 'happen to be there'. Made for us? Thank God, no. They are themselves odder than you could have believed and worth far more than we guessed.