Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Rye bread rising

When I'm in the kitchen there are inevitably two or three disasters before any success comes my way. Like when, on Saturday, I tried to make ice cream and instead of adding 4oz of sugar to the eggs, I added 14. (I thought the big numbers on the scale were oz but they were 100s of grams.) Then, in the same ice cream-making attempt, after getting the sugar mixture correct, I accidently brought the from-scratch custard to the boil, curdling it. Or when, on Sunday, trying to make bread, I assumed I could just substitute rye flour for normal flour, creating an inedible, stodgy dough.

Yesterday evening, however, it seemed to work
A friend's attempt when he, well, forgot about it
Advice for anyone wanting to work here: 1) learn how to cook, and 2) bring cookbooks that contain recipes with simple ingredients and (if you’re like me) instructions that a 4-year old couldn’t get wrong.