Friday, October 3, 2008

The intro bit

I'm 25, have been working in Papua New Guinea since January 2007, went to university in Sheffield, studied Biblical Studies (after realising Economics was for mathematical geeks...one of whom I am not), grew up in Liverpool and Africa, have one mum who's a good cook, one dad who's a bit crazy and one sister. She's getting married soon, which I think is pretty cool. Met the guy for the first time the other month and I think she's made a decent choice (I have to say that, he's probably going to read this...Just kidding Mike).

I do language surveys. I'm a sort of scout for Wycliffe Bible Translators, seeing where there are possibilities for them to go and work. It's fun. We get to hike around villages, chat to people, figure out language boundaries, ask about their traditional culture and language, generally just learn a lot, and hopefully eventually give a bit back. I lead a grade 8 boys’ Bible study every week, and I’m involved in their youth group too. Every Saturday morning I try to get out of the missionary centre on my motorbike. I go to the local town, Kainantu, or take a drive down the dirt tracks of the Aiyura valley that Ukarumpa, our centre, is in. I read, hang out with friends, attempt to cook, spend a lot of time cleaning up the charcoal-like remains of cooking that didn’t quite turn out, help out at a local youth drop-in centre, and now blog!

And this is too long. So I’ll end here. Glad to have got the boring first post out of the way where you kind of feel you have to introduce yourself.

PS Couldn’t think of a clever or funny name for this blog. Yep, that probably says a lot about me :) Any suggestions? Oh, and here are a couple of pictures. Just because everyone likes photos. The first is the valley I live in. The second is of me and one of the guys who introduced me to this country...I stayed with him and his family for 5 weeks in March last year. If you'd like to see more photos, go to www.thebigpicturelibrary.com/whenisurvey