Wednesday, January 13, 2010

So many words!

I'm in the middle of a massive New Britain word list comparison! I've finally finished the extremely tedious work of typing them all up and getting them into the right format for the comparison, and now I'm in the fun part: actually figuring out which words are similar. I took fourteen wordlists during the survey, and I have four more lists from neighbouring languages, and there may be four more to add later on. I'm pretty excited about it . . . eighteen word lists from up to nine different languages! We visited fourteen villages during the survey, and those villages may end up being grouped in as few as three or as many as five different languages . . . this comparison will be one of the things that helps me figure that out! It's all very messy and complicated and interesting and hard and delightful.

No comments: